Canon Pixma MP250 series Printer and Scanner on Ubuntu

Follow the below steps to setup any Canon Pixma MP250 series printer on Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora and Arch Linux

If you are using any Debian Based distro like Ubuntu then you need to follow the following steps .
1. Download the driver from Here
2. Open the archieve and there will be two .deb files (cnijfilter-common_3.40-1_i386.deb(for 32 bit)/cnijfilter-common_3.40-1_amd64.deb(for 64 bit) AND cnijfilter-mp250series_3.40-1_i386.deb(for 32 bit)/cnijfilter-mp250series_3.40-1_amd64.deb(for 64 bit) ) , now install them and connect your Printer and print the test page .

if you are using RPM based distro then you need to follow the following steps .
1. Download the drivers from Here
2. Open the archieve and there will be two .rpm files , now install them and connect your Printer and print the test page .

For Arch Linux ( 32bit only)
1. Download PKGBUILD file Here
2. Open the archieve and you will get a folder named “cnijfilter-mp250” , now open the terminal and cd to that folder and issue the following commands
(a) makepkg -s –asroot
(b) pacman -U filename.pkg (where “filename” is the name of the file that is just created in the “cnijfilter-mp250” folder with extension .pkg)
Now connect your printer and print the test page

Getting Scanner To Work in Ubuntu

I have noticed that some users are not able to get their scanner to work while the printer is working fine . So i found the solution online and here I am going to share that solution with you guys . All you need to do is just to issue the following commands in the order shown below :

Update : With the new Drivers from Canon There is no need to follow the steps below, just install the new drivers and restart your computer. But if your scanner is not identified even after installing the new drivers then follow the steps below.

1 . Download the scanner drivers for for Ubuntu here .

2. Extract the package by double clicking it and you will find two .deb files (scangearmp-common_1.40-1_i386.deb and scangearmp-mp250series_1.40-1_i386.deb) in it . Just install both the files .

3. Now open your terminal and issue the following command

sudo apt-get install libusb-dev build-essential

4. Now we need to get sane-backened so issue the following commands .

sudo apt-get install git-core
git clone git://git.debian.org/sane/sane-backends.git

completion of this step depends upon the speed of your internet and it may take some time if you are on slow connection so pls be patient

5. The above command will save the sane backend in your home directory with the name sane-backends . So now you need to go to that directory . If you are already in your home directory then issue the following command .

cd sane-backends

6. No we can run the configuration of the package with the following command:

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var

7. Once the configuration is complete we need to compile the package so issue the following command .

make

This process may take a while to complete .

8. The last step is to install the package so issue the following command :

sudo make install

9.  The scanner is now installed, however the permissions still need to be set. To set the permissions we will create a new file that will allow usage of the scanner. In the terminal, open Gedit:

sudo gedit

Once the gedit is open copy paste the following text in it

SUBSYSTEM==”usb”, ENV{DEVTYPE}==”usb_device”, MODE:=”0666″

SUBSYSTEM==”usb_device”,MODE:=”0666″

and save this file in your /etc/udev/rules.d directory with the name 40-scanner-permissions.rules

Your PIXMA MP250 scanner is now installed. You many now start scanning using Xsane scanning-utility .

Note : If you have any problem with the following procedure and you still cant get your printer/scanner to work then ask me for help in the comments I am always ready to help, and you can do me favor by linking this blog to your site and recommending it to your friends .

Note: Canon Now provides drivers for 64Bit Version of Ubuntu also.

246 thoughts on “Canon Pixma MP250 series Printer and Scanner on Ubuntu

• May 19, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Hi,
    Im recently bought a Canon MP-258 PSC. Im unable to install prebuilt ( .deb or others ) on a 64bit Ubuntu 9.10 installation. If you could point me to source code of these canon drivers, it would be of great help.

• May 19, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Officially there are not 64bit drivers for canon pixma mp258 , but i am trying find some way to install 32bit driver on 64bit Ubuntu as i am also using the same . Whenever i will find some solution i will post it here .

• June 5, 2010 at 1:05 am

Thanks for your solution.
    My printer go online.

• June 9, 2010 at 5:56 am

Thanks !!
    It really works !!
    u just need to run install.sh script!
    thanks again!!!

• June 20, 2010 at 10:37 am

Thanks it works well and i was trying to install printer for a long time. But I feel pixel control of print out and scanning is not included.

• June 27, 2010 at 4:12 am

Hi Harbhag,

I followed you posts to install the driver for printing on my Canon MP 258. I am using Ubuntu 10.04. I don’t have any problem with the printing, thanks to your suggestions. However, Ubuntu doesn’t detect the scanner. It says “no devices available”. I find from the sane site that MP250 series is supported. Since Ubuntu detects and prints through the device, why should the scanner go undetected? Can you offer some suggestions? thanks.

• June 27, 2010 at 8:30 am

I have tried many solutions to get scanner work in Ubuntu but i had no luck . But then I installed Windows XP in Ubuntu in Virtualbox and now I can user my scanner and printer in the Virtual Machine . If you want to know how to do it tell me I can help you .

• June 27, 2010 at 9:03 am

Hey I have updated my post with the solution to get the scanner work on Ubuntu , you can check if it helps you .

• June 27, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Hi!

Thanks for your post. As directed, I downloaded the files from the Canon site, installed and finally got to the stage where I issued the following in the terminal:

git clone git://git.debian.org/sane/sane-backends.git

However, this doesn’t seem to work, and I keep getting the following message:
    Initialized empty Git repository in /home/dc/sane-backends/.git/
    git.debian.org[0: 217.196.43.134]: errno=Connection timed out
    fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection timed out)

Am I doing something wrong, or is this because of my internet connection?

Thanks.

• June 27, 2010 at 6:38 pm

you issued the command correctly , it seems to be your connection problem .Bcoz I followed the same procedure and I got my scanner to work in just 20 minutes and I even removed the virtualbox and Windows XP . If you are slow connection then go this link ———> http://ubuntuone.com/p/88t/ and download the source code from there . I uploaded it there for you . Its is .tar.gz format . Extract the folder in it your home directory by double clicking the file sane-backend.tar.gz and then follow the remaining procedure and let me know if it worked for you or not .

• June 28, 2010 at 2:47 pm

This is great Harbhag. After I downloaded the tar gz file, installation was a breeze following your instructions. Its working perfectly. Thanks a lot. May be I shall pester you now and then if I get stuck with my Ubuntu. Thanks once again.

• Pingback: Enable Grayscale Printing in Canon Pixma MP250 series on Ubuntu . « Tech Simplified

• July 15, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Brilliant. For someone who can never get anything right, I managed to get both printer and scanner working in the first go, without error. Your instructions are THAT good. Keep it up!

• July 16, 2010 at 1:31 pm

There is a simple way of installing this on a 64 bit ubuntu.first make sure have the 32 bit libraries installed ( libc-386,ia32 etc). you will get this if you install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package via synaptic. now use dpkg to install the the 2 deb files mentioned above. just make sure you use the –force-architecture option of dpkg. ie sudo dpkg -i –force-architecture cnijfilter-common_3.20-1_i386.deb. similarly the other file.

• July 16, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Thanks for this information , I am sure that readers will benefit from it .

• July 22, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Thanks for the help.Since I am newbie to linux.I got no idea about
    all the commands you have mentioned.But I just followed blindly whatever you
    have asked me to do.I was successful in installing the printer and it works fine
    But I am not able to use the scanner.I am getting an error
    Failed to open device ‘pixma:04A9173a’Access to resource has been denied.
    Can you help me??? Thanks again.

• July 24, 2010 at 1:28 am

At which step you got this error ? can you explain it ? or better send me the screenshot .

• July 24, 2010 at 9:50 pm

open the terminal and type this :
      sudo scangearmp
      a new program window will open , try to scan from there .

• July 25, 2010 at 10:22 am

I got this error when I tried to open xsane Image scanner after the installation
        Problem solved after restarting.Now everything is working fine
        Thanks a lot bro!!!!!
        I appreciate your effort and help.
        keep up the Good work!

• July 22, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Followed your process without any problem but my MP250 is still not printing. The document goes to the print queue and processes but the printer does nothing.
    I’m running Mint 8 (Helena), not sure if that changes anything.

• July 24, 2010 at 1:29 am

Did you installed the drivers successfully ? try to restart the cups service using following command
      sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart

• July 24, 2010 at 3:10 pm

All drivers installed successfully. Restarted cups but still nothing from the printer.

• July 24, 2010 at 9:24 pm

this is strange . Do you see any error message ? if you do then send me the detail of the error .
      Got to Systerm —–> Adminitration —-> Printing
      and there see if your printer is showing there or not .

• July 24, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Yep, my printer is showing up. No error messages either when attempting to print.

• July 24, 2010 at 9:42 pm

open terminal and type
      sudo cnijfilter
      and tell me what happens ?
      you said Drivers installed correctly and the printer is detected .
      I would suggest that you try to reinstall drivers , that sounds crazy but we need to try every possibility . To reinstall you first to remove them via synaptic . If you dont know how to do it then tell me , I will explain it for you .

• March 2, 2011 at 1:22 pm

please tell me how to uninstall cannon 250 from synaptic. i selected the stock driver seen when adding the printer. now my printer is visible but no printing. so as per your suggestion me thinks i will have to uninstall the existing driver and reinstall the ones mentioned by you. so please tell me how to uninstall the existing ones.

many tnx

• March 2, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Open terminal and type
          sudo synaptic

now at the botton click on status and then above click on Local Obslete and then in the side you can see your installed drivers. If you dont get it, then you can ask me again.

• March 2, 2011 at 5:39 pm

harbhag u simply rock!!! i am able to print.. now will try to get the scanner going..

many tnx
        u rock

• July 24, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Trying to print test page, shows as being processed but no output, printer silent.

sudo cnijfilter give an error message “command not found”. I have removed the cnijfilter driver using synaptic and downloaded it again, extracted it and ran install.sh which asks me to “Connect the printer, and then turn on the power.
    To use the printer on the network, connect the printer to the network.
    When the printer is ready, press the Enter key.”

Hitting enter gives me the message “Could not detect the target printer”

When i try printer a pdf documents, i can see the printer and the status is ready but still no output.

• July 25, 2010 at 12:06 am

do not install driver using the script . Install them manually one by one . First time I also tried to install the drivers using script and I had the same problem .
    When you will install then manually you first have to install cnijfilter-common_3.20-1_i386.deb and then cnijfilter-mp250series_3.20-1_i386.deb .
    And one more thing , do not print the test page first . first test with some other pdf document and then only try the test page .
    just do it and tell me how it went .

• July 25, 2010 at 5:47 pm

AWESOME!! God does exists!!

I have been trying to get the scanner work for past 2 weeks now but no results. Did exactly whats instructed here and it started functioning. Thank you so much. Great work and keep up the same. Thanx again.

• July 25, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I felt the same when I got my scanner to work . I am glad to know that my post helped you . Thanks for commenting and encouraging .

• August 8, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Thank You so much for this post, it really helped me. I’m now happily printing, scanning, thanks to your help. May God Bless you for your kindness. Bye!

• August 10, 2010 at 11:38 pm

hi harbhag. i got a problem to install this file :
    nijfilter-common_3.20-1_i386.deb and cnijfilter-mp250series_3.20-1_i386.deb …

it seem like it said that wrong architecture and after using –force-architecture from terminal i kindly got this masage :
    gmea:~/Desktop/cnijfilter-mp250series-3.20-1-i386-deb/packages$ sudo dpkg -i –force-architecture cnijfilter-mp250series_3.20-1_i386.deb
    dpkg: error processing –force-architecture (–install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    dpkg: error processing cnijfilter-mp250series_3.20-1_i386.deb (–install):
    package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    –force-architecture
    cnijfilter-mp250series_3.20-1_i386.deb

• August 13, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Go here ——> http://frozenfox.freehostia.com/cappy/getlibs-all.deb and download the .deb file . Install it .
    After installing instead of doing force architecture issue the following command .
    getlibs -i cnijfilter-common_3.20-1_i386.deb
    getlibs -i cnijfilter-mp250series_3.20-1_i386.deb

Remember that to issue the above commands you must be in the directory where both the files ( cnijfilter-common_3.20-1_i386.deb AND cnijfilter-mp250series_3.20-1_i386.deb ) are present .
    Do this and tell me if it works or not .

• August 13, 2010 at 9:37 pm

it did compile but the printer still isn’t recognized 🙁

• August 13, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Why are you compiling it manually just install using the binary .deb files .
      What exactly you are doing ? Can you please explain so that I can help you more effectively ?

• August 14, 2010 at 7:13 pm

sir.. i need help.. i’m using linux mint 9 kde 64bit.. and these drivers are only for 32bits.. i’ve installed getlibs-all and have done these codes getlibs -i cnijfilter-common_3.20-1_i386.deb
    getlibs -i cnijfilter-mp250series_3.20-1_i386.deb.. but still got error.. “Wrong architecture i386.. is there any way how to solve it??

• August 14, 2010 at 7:37 pm

As you mentioned that you have already tried all the methods , then you are left with few more workarounds , one of them is by setting up chroot environment or you can install the windows in virtual environment and use your printer through that . But I am myself against installing windows so I would suggest you that you should install 32bit Mint .
      This is really shame that drivers are not available for user of 64bit operating systems .

• August 17, 2010 at 9:00 am

i have to agree with you on installing 32bit.. virtual windows is not really the good option.. can you teach me how to set up the chroot environment??

• August 17, 2010 at 8:10 pm

I am sorry , I cant teach you about that yet because I am also trying to do that . Once I will learn it then I will put a tutorial about that on my blog .

• August 21, 2010 at 5:35 am

hi harbhag,
    Thank you so much for the guidelines of installing the MP250 printer.
    I followed through every step till saving the file. It still need further command and I don’t know what to do now.
    Hope yo can help. Thanks.

• August 21, 2010 at 8:10 am

which command is required ? are you getting any error ? please try to explain little more so that I can help you efficiently . Is you printer working or not ? scanner working or not ?

• August 22, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Thanks. I reinstall everything and the printer and scanner are working fine now.

• September 19, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Thanks harbhag, I got my scanner working thanks to you.

• September 21, 2010 at 10:20 pm

whether the same printer canon pixma canon pixma mp258 and 250?

• September 22, 2010 at 12:21 am

Canon pixma mp258 and 250 belongs to same series i.e. 250 series. So what works for 258 must work for 250 or 257 or any other printer in this series.

• September 25, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Thanks a lot for your instructions. I managed to install my new printer and scanner without major problems, even though I’m totally Ubuntu-hopeless.

• September 30, 2010 at 9:19 am

Can’t get canon mp250 scanner to work tried to follow your directions and get this:
    ric@ric-laptop:~$ git clone git://git.debian.org/sane/sane-backends.git
    fatal: destination path ‘sane-backends’ already exists and is not an empty directory.
    I am very new to linux and really need someone to hold my hand while trying to do this. I did get the printer to work though. I’ m using Ubuntu 10.04 lucid lynx.
    can you help me?

• September 30, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Hi,
      Just click on the link below and download a file named sane-backendes.tar.gz . After downloading it save it in your home directory and continue to install your printer as described in the tutorial. If you still have any problem you can ask me. I am always ready to help.

• October 1, 2010 at 6:01 am

I tried to download the file three times and received the same results(took a screen shot but it won’t load here). the error I keep getting is:
    -an error occurred while loading archive.

-command line output:
    tar: this does not look like a tar archive
    tar: shipping to next header
    tar: exiting with failure status do to previous errors

That’s it, what do you think?

• October 1, 2010 at 6:03 am

I miss typed, the second tar should read tar: skipping to next header

• October 2, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Thank you so much for your tutorial. I am new to Linux (Ubuntu 10.04), and I just copied and paster your commands. They did work great on my system! Both the printer and scanner work perfectly!

• October 2, 2010 at 9:06 pm

It works fine also with Ubuntu 8.10, 64-bits.
      Thanks again for such an useful tutorial.

• October 8, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Hi

I have a Canon Pixma MP250 and uses Ubuntu 10.04 (64bit)

I have installed as you described.

But the scanner dosnt show up in Xsane. I get the message “no devices available”
    Cant solve this.

I have tried using the terminal
    ” type this :
    sudo scangearmp ”

That seems to work. Scangear from Canon is opening. And scanning seems to work. But then the files is saved. But with restriktions only for the root. And I cant solve that too. So now I have scanned files I cant use.

Can you help me?

Regards

Kim (from Norway)

• October 9, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Try the following commands
      sudo gpasswd -a saned yourname
      and then reboot, and then try to scan again.
      If this does not help then continue to use the method you mentioned above and to make files accessible to you you can use chmod
      sudo chmod 777 filename

If you dont understand how to do it then ask me again.

• October 9, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Hi again

On the first command I get the reply: “Adding user saned to group yourname”

I reboot – but not much is happening. Still dosnt recognize Xsane. I can use scangearmp through sudo command but still files with restricktions.

I have opened the files I have scanned with: “sudo chmod 777 filename”

And that works. But has to be done for every file scanned. Not much idea with a scanner then…

I would be happy to get Xsane to work or get files without restricktions.

Regards

Kim

• October 9, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Sorry my mistake, the first command i told you was wrong, issue the following command.
      sudo gpasswd -a username saned

where username is the name you gave in your computer.

• October 9, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Hi again

getting the reply:
    “adding user “username” to the group saned”

Then I reboot. But Xsane still cant find my scanner

Regards Kim

• October 10, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Ok – here it is:

Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 006 Device 002: ID 12d1:1003 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E220 HSDPA Modem / E270 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 003: ID 04a9:173a Canon, Inc.
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 064e:a103 Suyin Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

• October 10, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Ok so now run the following command and check again, and restart if required

sudo chmod a+w /dev/bus/usb/005/003

tell me if it worked or not ?good luck

• October 10, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Get this reply:

chmod: cannot open «/dev/bus/usb/005/003»: No such file or directory

• October 10, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Hi

I have solved it. Instead of opening Scangear MP from a terminal – I am opening it from Linux headmenu. Deleting “sudo” and commando as a program. That works. Scangear MP is opening and rekognizing Scanner correct: 005:003
    And the files is saved – not as root – but with normal conditions.

Thanx for your help

Regards

Kim

• October 14, 2010 at 9:46 pm

J’ai merdé j’ai acheté une imprimante non compatible UBUNTU….
    Mais grâce à ton super tutoriel, elle fonctionne !!
    MERCI BEAUCOUP

• October 16, 2010 at 10:00 am

Hi! harbhag, Can I install the Canon MX320 drivers using the drivers from Canon Asia website and can I get the scanner to work with the commands for the MP250???

• October 16, 2010 at 10:15 am

You can try , but I have no Idea if it will work or not.

• Pingback: MP258 for Ubuntu « 雲淡風清

• October 21, 2010 at 6:06 am

After installing the .deb packages, I was able to get a test page to print, but only from the printer itself. My computer detects a printer, but any jobs I send to the printer just sit and sit and never do anything. With your help, I was able to get the scanner to work though. So what am I doing wrong?

• October 21, 2010 at 11:47 am

Try to kill all the pending jobs before submitting new job. Try to restart the system and cups.
      sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart

If you have got it to work then you are not doing anything wrong.

• October 21, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Thanks, this worked for me too in maverick! And i didn’t need to set the scan up.
    So thanks for your help!

• October 25, 2010 at 9:23 pm

I am using Mint 8 ( Heleen )I have done all the steps above but still am not able to print.
    No error during installation
    But no printout coming, scanner is working fine
    Am not able to download the file cnijfilter-mp250series_3.20-1_i386.deb from the link. But the i got from this link is scangearmp-common_1.60-1_i386.
    After installation i have connected the printer but it is not working. please suggest.
    Very urgent.

• October 25, 2010 at 9:54 pm

You need to download and install that driver file in order to get your printer to work otherwise your printer will not work. Why are you not able to download that file ? what error you are getting ?

• October 26, 2010 at 2:45 am

Hi,

Thanks so much! got the printer to work and the scanner too!
    but i am getting blank pages in the scans…installed scangear package and running it in command with ” sudo scangearmp “,
    !?any advice!?

Anyway,
    thanks soo much!
    Muito obrigado!

• October 26, 2010 at 10:24 am

If you are on Ubuntu then try this
      sudo apt-get install xsane

Cheers for your success though.

• October 26, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I am a new user to Ubuntu 10.10… had been a windows user all this while…

zoy@zoy:~$ git clone git://git.debian.org/sane/sane-backends.git
    Initialized empty Git repository in /home/zoy/sane-backends/.git/
    git.debian.org[0: 217.196.43.134]: errno=Connection timed out
    fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection timed out)

above is the error that comes…

Further when I try to download from the link…http://ubuntuone.com/p/88t/

-an error occurred while loading archive.

-command line output:
    tar: this does not look like a tar archive
    tar: skipping to next header
    tar: exiting with failure status do to previous errors

is what i get….

Kindly help!!!

• Pingback: Printing to a Canon Pixma MX860 Network Printer « Josh's Ambry

• December 7, 2010 at 1:27 am

• December 9, 2010 at 3:59 am

hi
    How do control the print quality to save ink on my mp250?
    thanks

• December 9, 2010 at 9:49 pm

PERFECT. DID NOT HAVE ANY TROUBLE GETTING THE PRINTER AND SCANNER WORKING. YOUR INSTRUCTIONS ARE PRECISE AND APT.
    GREAT WORK HARBHAG!!
    THANKS AND TON FOR YOUR HELP.

• December 10, 2010 at 12:04 am

hi
    Y want to save ink in my Canon Pixma MP250 how do y do it ?

• December 10, 2010 at 7:38 am

You cant change it, as far as I know, canon does not provide support for this feature in Linux.

• December 13, 2010 at 11:42 am

hi,
    YOUR SOLUTION FOR GETTING THE PRINTER AND SCANNER ON UBUNTU WORKED FLAWLESSLY AS MENTIONED ABOVE.

I HAVE SET A PRINT SERVER ON LOCALHOST AND TRYING TO ADD A PRINTER TO THE CLIENT VIA SYSTEM>>ADMIN>>PRINTING GETS A “client forbidden error”.

WHEREAS TEST PAGE CAN BE PRINTED FROM CUPS WEB INTERFACE.

HELP NEEDED TO RESOLVE THIS PERMISSION ERROR.

• December 30, 2010 at 2:47 am

I’ve installed all these drivers for MP250. Scaner works well,but printer does not work.I’ve tried to reinstall drivers,but it does not work at all. 🙁

• December 30, 2010 at 9:15 pm

are you getting any error ? try to restart your computer and then install drivers again.

• January 4, 2011 at 10:30 pm

i have install the scanner as you told above, but it doesn’t work when i wish to print, but when i scan the paper, it works….

• January 6, 2011 at 1:48 pm

to print directly from the scanned paper you have to press Black or Color button on the printer ?
      is this what you want to know or something else ?

• January 6, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Hey. I followed your directions and when I installed the drivers it said already installed.. I printed a test page by pressing the button on the printer that has a screw driver by it and it worked. Anything i try to print off the computer will not print tho. The printer feeds the paper through and it sounds like it is printing but it doesn’t. I am computer illiterate and have no clue what the problem is. I only bought the printer bc I want to print off pictures of my niece taken by my sister n law. Any suggestions?

• January 6, 2011 at 1:46 pm

What error message it is showing ??
      Alternatively restart your computer and reinstall the drivers, it should work.

• January 6, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Im not getting any errors messages.. It is acting like it is working correctly but it just doesnt put ink on paper..??

• January 6, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Whew, nice! It worked! Thank you very much! ^^

• January 6, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I get no response from my printer. I installed deb files through the software portal. I can’t even get a print test from my PC. I rebooted with the same result.

• January 6, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Got it! I had to delete the printer from the add printer menu, then add it again selecting the new file I downloaded. Under select description there was MP250 with description ” a printer connected to usb ” and then a file location option under that. I picked the file name and tadah! This is awesome!!!! Been waiting soooo long for this. Thank you!

• January 7, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: scangearmp-common (>= 1.60)

• January 7, 2011 at 11:10 pm

first intstall scangearmp-common and then the other package. If you still get the error then tell me.

• January 8, 2011 at 6:43 pm

sorry i was running out the door as i was posting.
        i installed the printer drivers and it prints now.
        after installing the second scanner driver (mp250)
        i got the error message in that comment. ^__^

• January 12, 2011 at 1:15 am

ok so i forged ahead despite the original error message
    and followed all the steps without any hitches or delays.

i’ve done a full system shut down and start up just in case
    and all i get when i click on xsane in the graphics tab is:

Failed to open device `pixma:04a9173a’:
    Access to resource has been denied.

• January 12, 2011 at 9:43 am

Try to run this command on terminal
      sudo xsane

Tell me if you see any error message.

• January 12, 2011 at 1:07 pm

You try to run XSane as ROOT, that really is DANGEROUS!

Do not send any bug reports when you
    have any problems while running XSane as root:
    YOU ARE ALONE!
    Continue at your own risk / Cancel

• January 23, 2011 at 8:49 pm

thanks alot …mine is pixma mp258 n ubuntu 10.10.it is printer cum scanner.iam able to print now iam very happy,..but unable to scan.i did every thing u said n i didnt get any abrupt stop msgs..but scanner is not working.

i ll be more happy if u hav any solution for this also.

and one more doubt: is there any way to see the ink levels on the screen(like we can see in window.)

• January 24, 2011 at 7:34 pm

have tried restarting the computer ? if it still does not the reinstall only the scanner drivers. But this time you do not need to follow the steps from 3 to last.
      Just follow the first 2 steps.
      If it still does not work, then tell me again.

• January 26, 2011 at 11:39 am

thanks alot…my scanner and printer both are working now….

• January 25, 2011 at 8:02 am

i have a canon 258 all in one printer. I Had refilled the black cartridge. After that it had stop working. Scan, printing, copy all is not working.
    It is showing E 1 6 on the lcd display.
    Wat shall i do. Pliz help me

• January 25, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I have no Idea about that error. Is it the first time that you refilled your cartridge ? May be cartridge head is clogged ?
      Is printer got identified by the Ubuntu ? if yes then something wrong with the procedure to refilling.
      Alternatively you can download the latest drivers from canon website for your linux machine and reinstall them, the link is in the tutorial.

• February 4, 2011 at 8:25 am

thank you very much. both my printer and scanner work now.
    a question if you don’t mind, what if i’m about to upgrade my ubuntu with a clean install, can i have both of them worked without going through all the steps mentioned above? i’m currently at ubuntu 10.04, and 11.04 is near.

• February 4, 2011 at 12:33 pm

First of All cheers for your success. Second I dont mind if someone asks me a question because I think “there are no dumb questions”. So now back to your question. I would suggest you that dont do clean install, but if you prefer to do clean install thats also fine but you will need to install the drivers again then. If you will do the clean install then first of all download the drivers from the canon website for both printer and scanner and directly install them without compiling and any other stuff and restart your computer and then see if it works, if it does not work then you have to repeat all the steps again. Feel free to ask me questions anytime.

• February 5, 2011 at 2:22 pm

thanks for the cheers 🙂

i think i have to change the question, how to transfer the setting onto another computer? i already have the downloaded files and (used) backend folder. cloning and compiling take too much time, can i just copy the sane-backend directory? please keep it simple and stupid 🙂

• February 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm

as far as I know, you cant just copy the files, sure you can use the sane-backend folder, but if your do fresh install, then you need to compile the stuff again. But I think with the new drivers from canon you wont need to compile anything, just install the drivers and restart your system.

• February 14, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Hi.. Thank you for this post! It worked for me… great help.
    Cheers,
    Akanksha

• February 21, 2011 at 7:44 am

thank you very much, It really works !!
    Great work and keep up the same.

• March 4, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Harbhag:

Hey bravo, this worked perfectly – the printer part anyhow. (will do scanner install shortly), just as you said !

I didn’t see any print quality selections – is that normal for Ubuntu 10.10 using the MP250 Pixma printer ?

But, it does print very nicely, both graphics & text. Haven’t tried photos just yet.

Cool thing was, this was the best deal at Walmart on a printer, barely equal to the cost of the ink cartridges themselves ($ 30 vs $ 32), so how could one go wrong ?

I did note someone sells a kit to refill them at home – have to try that out, too.

Thanks again for your nice tutorial & blog – us Linux ‘converts’ need to be given a good ‘catechisim’ in the newfound open source world.

God bless you and the movement,

David in Texas

• March 15, 2011 at 7:08 pm

• March 30, 2011 at 10:08 pm

hey, this tutorial was great and helped me to get my scanner to work in ubuntu 10.10, but now that i have 10.04, because 10.10 messed up, i can no longer get my scanner to work… and it used to work perfectly with simpleScan… can you help me?

• March 31, 2011 at 9:04 am

What errors you are getting ? You need to make sure that your installation is update before you get your printer/scanner to work.

• April 4, 2011 at 7:45 am

Great….. my scan now work.

thx a lott

• April 5, 2011 at 9:23 pm

hi i have used the procedure when installed ubuntu for the first time it worked great
    now i have to format the system so i reinstall ubuntu 10.10. now i followed the same steps
    to install scanner and printer but it is not working.
    when iam checking whether it is installed with the below command it is prompting sanedevice not found but i see the sane backends folder in the home folder and its not empty

P4I45Gx-PE:~/sane-backends$ scanimage -v
    scanimage: no SANE devices found

please help me

• April 6, 2011 at 10:51 am

Since you are using the same procedure on the same system, then there are chances that you have missed something. I would suggest that you try to re-install the drivers and use the most updated version for this and make sure that your operating system is completely updated.

• April 6, 2011 at 11:59 am

hi i dont have drivers now and what should i do help me out this problem

• April 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm

hi iam also having problem i am no able download anything from ubuntu software center
    what should i do

• April 6, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Are you getting any error while using Ubuntu Software center ? run sudo apt-get update

• April 7, 2011 at 7:09 am

no iam not getting any error

• April 7, 2011 at 8:00 am

after updating my ubuntu and also installed wine i have try to install my using wine program but i am not install canon

• April 7, 2011 at 10:26 am

after updating my ubuntu i try to install canon but iam not able install and
    also i am not able to delete sane-backeneds

• April 7, 2011 at 1:29 pm

You dont need to install sane-backened if you download and install the drivers from the links I sent you before.

• April 13, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Thank you harbhag!!! Installed the Printer and Scanner by following your instructions to the “t” and both are working beautifully!!! Absolutely brilliant!! I have linked you now to my personal blog as well, if it does any good to you!! Thanks again!!

• April 16, 2011 at 9:31 pm

hello i have tryed your method in system but failed to install it but i had formated my
    system and iam using ubuntu on my system now. this is the another i found it..
    this procedure also will work this procedure easy to install and also will work try
    if any one need
    how to install canon mp258 on ubuntu very easy way scanner and printer
    steps to install scanner
    step 1 download the required drivers from the given website
    step 2 go to downloads and move the folder to home folder and then extract
    step 3 after extracting open the packages and install it by using gdebi kded package software
    to get that package download it from ubuntu software center
    step 4 installation finshed
    steps to install printer
    step 1 open terminal
    step 2 then type cnijfilter mp250series-3.40-1-deb
    step 3 type ./install.sh
    step 4 it will ask some details and type them
    step 5 installation finished

• April 29, 2011 at 4:02 am

I followed the instructions. Everything worked. No problems.
    On first attempt to print a scanned test picture, the print window indicated the printer was not turned on. In fact it was on.
    We restarted the pc. The next time printing the scanned test picture, the print window indicated the MP250 was ready.

Thanks so much! I would not have known how to get the scanner up and running.

• May 6, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Hello
    i have installed the printer and driver scanners as suggested , i am using ubuntu 11.04
    but nothing happens , the printer makes a few sounds when i turn it on (didnt before) and when i go to print it finds my printer canon mp250 but nothing happens when i go to print , or when i try to scan could you help please as since i upgraded from 10.10 to 11.04 i am no longer able to get back on to my windows vista to use my printer or scanner
    i have been trying for months to get this printer to work on ubuntu but no matter what i have tried it will not work
    help please

• May 6, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Are you getting error messages ?
      is your installation up-to-date ? if not then run
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Your printer and scanner was working 10.10 or not ?

• May 16, 2011 at 1:53 am

hello
        i get no error messages
        and the drivers installed as expected , and i installed the recomended drivers
        i could not get the printer to work on ubuntu 10.10 either
        but the drivers are installed and acording to kubuntu there working but
        the printer and scanner do nothing but make a few noises
        i am up to date with the instilation
        but i get no print and no scan
        help please

• May 14, 2011 at 9:43 pm

sory sir…my printer mp258 work pretty success for printing ..but not for scanning..i try to follow the step given..but still doesn’t work..

can u help me…

• May 30, 2011 at 10:24 am

I followed your instructions to get the canon mp 258 printer and scanner working on 15 July 2010. Somewhere along the line the printer stopped responding, although the scanner continued to work.
    Today I used you advice again to download the printer drivers from canon, and lo and behold! it’s working again.
    Can’t thank you enough, Harbhag.

• June 5, 2011 at 2:20 am

Can’t print! Scanner working, but trying to print the test page I get,
    client error document format not supported.

A cups error. Help!

• June 5, 2011 at 7:24 am

This might be the one where you have to uncomment something in /etc/cups/mime.convs and /etc/cups/mime.types. It’s the last few lines, saying
      #
      # Uncomment the following filter to allow printing of arbitrary files
      # without the -oraw option.
      #

#application/octet-stream application/vnd.cups-raw 0 –

• June 7, 2011 at 7:07 am

Strange thing is I don’t have those in my cups directory. No mime.convs, no mime.types.

I installed the drivers into the Adam folder which comes up under the home folder. Otherwise the home folder is empty, except for Adam.

Have I done wrong? I have to move one above the home folder to see the etc folders and others….
        Adam

• June 5, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Very Amazing… Thank you so much for this info… It works.. Best Regards…

• June 7, 2011 at 11:44 pm

etc/cups/ doesn’t contain the mime.convs, nor the mime.types. Nor can I edit anything in those directories, as the etc/cups folder is located in the File System. Help! You’ve been great.

• June 8, 2011 at 9:41 am

I am looking for some solution to this problem. I have never come across such problem before. Till then I would suggest you re-install the printer drivers.

• June 9, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I’m using the 64 bit drivers as well….. have a 64 bit AMD system. Might affect things.

Should I install the drivers from a specific folder, directory? As I said, I’m using the Adam directory, the only one under the Home Directory, as I’m the only user of this computer. so the 3.40.1 amd 64 deb files are the ones installed, both common and mp250 series deb drivers.

This is crazy! The scanner still works fine, but can’t print. Get the document format not supported cups error.

• June 10, 2011 at 10:43 am

Hi, I tried to find some solution but I could not find any solution for this problem. I would suggest you to ask the question on http://www.askubuntu.com . I am also having 64 bit system with 64bit version of Ubuntu installed. My printer and Scanner works perfectly. So 64bit is not an issue I think.

• June 29, 2011 at 10:45 am

Thanks a ton ………… this enabled us to get ours to work 🙂

A minor digression was that we had to do “sudo make” rather than “make”.

Thanks again

• July 4, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Thank you very much! This guide is the only one that really works for scan (not only print) with the 250MP on Ubuntu Karmic 9.10. God bless you.

Steve,

• July 13, 2011 at 2:14 pm

dear harbhag,

please tell us how to get printuimp250 work in lucid for cannon mp printer. upon running this command i get this window http://i52.tinypic.com/2uxtjeg.png. but any changes made here do not seem to work
    please see you can find a solution to do maintenence jobs like cleaning nozzels, heads etc on canon mp printers in ubuntu lucid

btw very informative blog

• July 22, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Thank you for your clear directions.
    Where is the ” /etc/udev/rules.d ” directory?

• July 22, 2011 at 2:15 pm

“/etc/udev/rules.d” directory is in /etc/udev

type in terminal

cd /etc/udev/rules.d

• July 23, 2011 at 4:02 am

Thanks for that.
    I just upgraded to ubuntu 11.04 and lost my wireless driver for BCM 4311 (32 bit) Do you have any links for a clear and concise fix? I have the download but am having trouble installing it.

• August 11, 2011 at 6:23 am

Thanks… It works, I do install the latest driver, then followed the installation of xane backends… I run a box with 64bit…

God Bless!

• August 20, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Thank You very much ! !

I’m using Linux Mint and after two days surfing i was already planing to explode my new printer, but Thanks to You, it’s now working as it should be working. Wunderbar <3

• August 21, 2011 at 10:17 am

i recently bought a mp258 and my canner is working fine, but its not printing

• August 24, 2011 at 12:40 am

Hi Harbag, got the same problem of not printing but scan works ok on my canon mp250. read and applied all your suggestions but still no printing but no problem with scan. the file cnijfilter-common_3.20-1_i386.deb now available is upgraded to 3.40, maybe this causes the problem? hope you have useful suggestion on how to solve this. thanks in advance.

• August 27, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Awesome info! Helped me get full functionality out of my pixma mp250 within 30 minutes of me setting it up! This step by step worked flawlessly even though i still had to install the scanning software as well, even after the update. I wish i could buy you a beer!

• August 27, 2011 at 10:46 pm

P.S. FYI I am running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, used simple scan to scan, and just picked up a pixma mp250 today at dub-mart for $30.

• August 28, 2011 at 10:47 am

i’m using Ubuntu 11.04, i got my MP258’s print and copy working well but the scan functionality. I followed the steps mentioned above but got the error while compiling( step 7). I have pasted here the last few lines of the error message. Awaiting for your helping hand.

error message of make:

Transcript written on mfput.log.
    grep: ptmr7t.log: No such file or directory
    mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ptmr7t’ failed to make ptmr7t.tfm.
    kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
    make[1]: *** [sane.ind] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ganesh/sane-backends/doc’
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

• August 28, 2011 at 10:53 am

I think that following is little more comprehensive that may help you to isolate the problem of compiling.

kpathsea: Running mktextfm ptmr7t
    mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ptmr7t
    This is METAFONT, Version 2.718281 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf ptmr7t
    ! I can’t find file `ptmr7t’.
    …:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ptmr7t

Please type another input file name
    ! Emergency stop.
    …:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ptmr7t

Transcript written on mfput.log.
    grep: ptmr7t.log: No such file or directory
    kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
    make[1]: *** [sane.ind] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ganesh/sane-backends/doc’
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    ganesh@ganesh-desktop:~/sane-backends$

• August 28, 2011 at 11:56 am

You dont need to compile anything with latest drivers, just download the drivers and install and restart you computer.

• Pingback: Instalasi driver Canon Pixma MP258 MP250 di Linux… « Bacalah…..

• October 4, 2011 at 11:41 am

Absolutely brilliant – thanks for the solution, it worked perfectly!

• October 18, 2011 at 9:05 am

Hello, you seem to know tons about this…I followed your directions on page to get MP250 pixma canon printer all-in-one installed, and it does print, as well as scan (thank you for posting it!). 10.04 ubuntu amd 64. However, the dpi is 600 and manual says it supposedly goes up to 4800. (I just bought this printer). The photo stuff I was printing for a project looks like cartoons. Absolute ubuntu newbie dont know commands. Has there been a solution to get the print quality recognized? (drop down box is stuck on 600 dpi and cannot change it).
    Is this just an issue for my flavor of linux? Will upgrading to a newer linux help this any? (trying to get all updates done on slowwww dialup seems will never end, to upgrade linux meanwhile).
    I havent purposefully gotten the 32 bit binaries as we had a trojan invasion during canon’s trojan hack aug/sept, and it must have been WINE that let it in (no wine now, reformatted).. Would that help? Deb’s in Linux IJ Printer driver from canon already come in AMD64, but leaves no DPI but 600.
    Thanks

• October 18, 2011 at 9:16 am

I still havent found any solution to this particular problem. The main reason is the lack of time. As soon as I
      solve this issue I will post the solution here. In the meantime if you found some solution then share with us as well.

• October 18, 2011 at 9:14 am

Hmm…tried to post but dont see that it did; will do again.
    MP250 Pixma all-in-one printer/scanner on Ubuntu 10.04 amd 64 directions worked great; thanks for posting! However, print limited to 600dpi, awful for pics, look like cartoons. Manual says capable of 4800 dpi, new purchase. Any solution you know of to this problem? I dont know commands unless I type them verbatim, absolute newbie to ubuntu; would upgrading to a better flavor of ubuntu help? (slow dialup)
    Thanks!

• October 26, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Thank you very much :). It helped me a lot and saved a lot of my time. I ,too, would like to know how to print/scan with more ppi/dpi.

• October 28, 2011 at 1:11 pm

hi there, yours is the one site i’m banking on to get my Pixma MP145 scanner to work. I’ve downloaded the .deb for the scangear and printer. printer works, just not the scanner. i have ubuntu11.10. at a loss.
    could you please help? Thank you

• November 9, 2011 at 1:17 am

Hi

Me is me above; thanks for your reply…I get it now, they sell the better software but basically all the printers and scanners are same, software improves the resolution. (they are sneaky). Will make do.

Never had to scan till today. These directions all worked to get scanner MP250 going in Ubuntu 10.04 on AMD64 with canon’s drivers (64) first downloaded, scanner from terminal sudo scangearmp does move its lamp, take the pic, and show the preview; but when it saves it as (one of the 3 choices) PNG, the PNG shows a padlock and gives error message “failed to open the input stream for file”. I followed above your advice to Kim from Norway, who said (i think) that her error was “trying to open scangearmp from menu”…(dont see how that can be done)…and did the tweaks you suggested whilst helping her (chmod and ownership),, as, in the properties of the padlocked PNG it says root is owner; this didnt work. (Im doing your directions for terminal scangearmp, as in menu, xsane and simplescan both dont see the scanner at all- I have nothing called scangear unless I read kim’s comments wrong).

During the make* part in your notes, it gave ERROR 1 and a whole lot of Wmissing statements. (I rebooted and not sure if I can bring it up to paste it) — But I continued to the next part to “set permissions” and it seems to be working, just locking all the pics its taking.

I do not know what I did wrong, and if I cant open any of the PNGs this renders it useless till fix this problem. When scangearmp asks save for “print, display, OCR” I am choosing Display, because I want to save the pic on my laptop not print, and dont know what OCR means. Could that be it? It asks me where to save, and then its the padlocked PNG. There is also an advanced option in Scangearmp window, for “descreen” (off/on) and I’m clueless so leaving default “descreen”.

I see someone above thought for their 64, sudo make was necessary, will it hurt if I retry these directions without erasing anything? (newbie).

Thanks in advance…you get tons of kharmic brownie points for this page, bless you, but you already know how that works. Very good teacher and kind soul. 🙂

• November 9, 2011 at 9:13 am

The 64 Bit drivers are officially provided now by Canon.

• November 9, 2011 at 1:32 am

BTW, re “me” question, I found on the net a home-made PPD file, that put in grayscale ability, and turned on all the hidden features of up to 4800 dpi selection, but it was pulled from the site it was on either “due to x, or copyright issues” – I will bank copyright. The details were all there – but has to be saved as PPD and cant figure out how to do that, seems like not available to average person (or “end lines get cut off” etc. ) cut and paste didnt work into the old PPD (restored it). Hence figured out theyre really selling software not better printer/scanners.

To all the thousands of readers who read this page, re the comment “best buy at walmart ” (mine was only 28!) and same price as the ink…..DONT! Go to ebay, look up refills, 10 bucks gets you a refill kit easy to follow directions on net, 7 whole color & black and white refills in it!!! Spread the word! (theyre also selling cartridges now, mine told me 2 days into its newness and maybe 10 pages later, “low on ink”….when I went to refill, all overflowed, no such animal!” People, buy ink, not cartridges.

🙂

• November 9, 2011 at 1:35 am

the cache of the entire ppd file’s contents line by line, is still on the net, and i saved it, but the download link to the guy’s PPD format so its useable, was yanked. So the info is all there for anyone who knows how to save as PPD*. (saving as text doesnt fly).

• November 9, 2011 at 7:25 pm

64 bit drivers are what I installed, but all the photos have padlocks on them. Scanner appears to work, but cant view or use the photos I scan. 🙂 Gives error message “cannot view stream” for picture.

• November 9, 2011 at 7:32 pm

You need to change the permission of the photos, try this

if your photo is on the desktop: sudo chmod 777 ~/Desktop/NameOfYourPhoto

replace NameOfYourPhoto with the actual name of your photo. If you cant figure out how to do it then tell me the name of the photo and where it is saved after scanning.

• November 9, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Tried directions again, with hint to use sudo make:
    error list too long to post entire, last part as follows:

sanei_udp.c: In function ‘sanei_udp_set_nonblock’:
    sanei_udp.c:199: error: ‘save_flags’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    sanei_udp.c:199: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    sanei_udp.c:199: error: for each function it appears in.)
    sanei_udp.c:199: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘fcntl’
    sanei_udp.c:199: error: ‘F_GETFL’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    sanei_udp.c:201: error: ‘O_NONBLOCK’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    sanei_udp.c:204: error: ‘F_SETFL’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    make[1]: *** [sanei_udp.lo] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/computer/sane-backends/sanei’
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

going to try sudo make install on next part as scanner worked first directions without sudo make, but locks photos. 🙂

• November 9, 2011 at 7:38 pm

you are doing it wrong, you dont need to coompile the drivers yourself. Just download the latest packages from the link provided in the tutorial and install it and the restart your computer.

• November 9, 2011 at 7:38 pm

sudo make install, gives same set of errors very long

IG_DIR=/etc/sane.d -DPATH_SANE_DATA_DIR=/usr/share -DPATH_SANE_LOCK_DIR=/var/lock/sane -DV_MAJOR=1 -DV_MINOR=0 -g -O2 -W -Wall -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wstrict-prototypes -pedantic -ansi -MT sanei_udp.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/sanei_udp.Tpo -c -o sanei_udp.lo sanei_udp.c
    libtool: compile: gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../include/sane -I/usr/local/include -I. -I. -I../include -I../include -DPATH_SANE_CONFIG_DIR=/etc/sane.d -DPATH_SANE_DATA_DIR=/usr/share -DPATH_SANE_LOCK_DIR=/var/lock/sane -DV_MAJOR=1 -DV_MINOR=0 -g -O2 -W -Wall -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wstrict-prototypes -pedantic -ansi -MT sanei_udp.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/sanei_udp.Tpo -c sanei_udp.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/sanei_udp.o
    sanei_udp.c: In function ‘sanei_udp_set_nonblock’:
    sanei_udp.c:199: error: ‘save_flags’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    sanei_udp.c:199: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    sanei_udp.c:199: error: for each function it appears in.)
    sanei_udp.c:199: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘fcntl’
    sanei_udp.c:199: error: ‘F_GETFL’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    sanei_udp.c:201: error: ‘O_NONBLOCK’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    sanei_udp.c:204: error: ‘F_SETFL’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    make[1]: *** [sanei_udp.lo] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/computer/sane-backends/sanei’
    make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

• November 9, 2011 at 7:45 pm

it works! I had copied permissions rule with no S on permissions –

im locked out of my “pictures” folder somehow now, but was able to save it to the desktop and it opens.

Thanks!

• November 24, 2011 at 5:27 pm

i want canon sevice center contact no.

• November 30, 2011 at 6:44 pm

i’ve got a 5012 code error with my comp. what must i do?

• November 30, 2011 at 6:45 pm

i ment this code is coming from my printer (canon pixma 258)

• December 6, 2011 at 11:23 am

how to clear E03 error in canon pixma mp 258

• December 6, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Cordial thanks harbhag! Everything works perfect! 🙂

• December 12, 2011 at 6:22 am

hello followed directions running ubuntu 11.04 recognizes printer, its installed Canon mp250 but does not print. looking at print dialogue it says job is completed. What could be preventing the print from happening. printer works fine in Windows.

• December 18, 2011 at 5:30 am

CANON MP250 PAPER IS NOT FEEDING THROUGH FROM REAR TRAY

• March 6, 2012 at 9:30 am

hai harbhag ,I am happy to see you here

I have a doubt is it possible to install canon pixma mp287 with the same tutorial above .I am in 11.10 UB

• March 6, 2012 at 2:36 pm

canon pixma mp 258 prinet & scan setup

• March 6, 2012 at 11:08 pm

canon pixma mp 258 setup send and service center contecet no plases send

• Pingback: Install driver canon pixma mp258 di ubuntu 10.04 (i386) - Ab3duh DC

• Pingback: driver dan scanner canon pixma mp258 | Rajawana

• September 19, 2012 at 1:55 pm

sorry, is it same driver for printer pixma 250 and 258

• September 26, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Hello! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established blog.
    Is it very hard to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? With thanks

• October 4, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Simply great, thank you (Versione 12.04 (precise) 32 bit)

• February 24, 2013 at 12:26 am

You get an error after make,

make[1]: *** [sanei_udp.lo] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/computer/sane-backends/sanei’
    make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

But installing texlive-extra-utils solves it.

• May 14, 2013 at 12:18 am

Take the time to test your site, and make
    sure that various connections speeds receive quick load times.
    Aside from being resourceful, Filipinos are also known to be very creative.
    If you build a website, which is based on content; it will have more
    content and less graphic pictures.

• July 22, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I have followed your advice but xsane cannot scan. I can get the scanner to work with scangearmp but when I run xsane nothing happens. The system monitor says it sleeping, using 4.4MB memory and poll_schedule_timeout but no error message or anything else. to end it, I have end the process through system monitor (I am running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS)

• October 8, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Íà ñàéòå ïðåäñòàâëåíû ñàìûå ïîïóëÿðíûå ïðèêëþ÷åí÷åñêèå èãðû âî âñ¸ì ìèðå.Èãðû ïåðèîäè÷åñêè îáíîâëÿþòñÿ. http://gamesdlavsex.ru/

• February 25, 2014 at 3:56 am

как изменить размер по ширине и высоте припечати фото на принтере CANON MP250 Есле можно по подробней.Зарание СПАСИБО.

• March 25, 2014 at 10:19 am

Would-be individuals who wishes to become a member of quicker
    know that Tuina certificate programsbettersuit time constraints.
    Presenting negative feedback in public. Providing you pay just $4.95, you’ll have
    the right to test it for 21 days.

• June 12, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Using a defined contribution plan, you’ll do have more get a grip on over how much you
    put in and where it’s spent, but less promise on how much you reunite.
    Therefore, it is important to learn how to cope with
    your stresses. A simple example will explain the principle of fractional-reserve banking.

• August 17, 2014 at 6:38 pm

That is really fascinating, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I’ve joined your rss feed and look ahead to in search of extra of your magnificent
    post. Also, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks

• August 18, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Howdy! I know this is kinda off topic however , I’d figured I’d ask.

Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest authoring a blog article or vice-versa?
    My website covers a lot of the same subjects as yours and I believe we could greatly benefit from each
    other. If you happen to be interested feel free to send me
    an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Awesome blog by the way!

• August 22, 2014 at 5:24 pm

May I just say what a comfort to discover someone who genuinely
    understands what they are discussing online. You definitely
    realize how to bring a problem to light and make it important.
    A lot more people need to look at this and understand this side
    of your story. I can’t believe you are not more popular given that you most certainly have the gift.

• September 21, 2014 at 12:03 pm

If some one needs expert view regarding running a blog afterward i propose him/her to go to see this blog, Keep
    up the pleasant job.

• November 11, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Пелемени и полфарикаты. Ручное производство.
    Изготовлено в Алтайском крае.
    Здоровый, натуральный продукт.
    +7-913-729-07-32
    Сайт:http://novosib-meat.ru/

• May 14, 2016 at 4:16 pm

is there a possibility of scanning multipages or i have to scan the papers one after another?

• July 13, 2016 at 4:11 am

why my scanner didnt work. when my printer is okay to use.

• July 13, 2016 at 4:27 am

my mp258 is successfully installed. but my scanner didnt work. can.you help me about this
    please. thanks

• Pingback: Canon Pixma MP258 or any MP250 series Printer and Scanner on Ubuntu , Debian , Fedora and Arch Linux | Tech Simplified